Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Amber, Kim, and Beyonce--Not Classism, Just Realism



 Recently, Amber Rose came under fire from the Beyhive, and many others as well, for making a very faulty, misleading comparison between herself and her sisterwife Kim, and Beyonce.  Now, I'm not a STAN for anyone (but my girl Fantasia), so I don't have anything to gain from bashing any of these ladies, and I won't.  However, I think there are some things that should be pointed out. Amber's reasoning as to why she and Kim are "slut-shamed", and not Beyonce, makes no sense. I can make my case in 3 simple points:


 1.  Beyonce IS OFTEN criticized for being overly-sexual. From her costumes to her dance to her song topics, she is considered by many to NOT be a role model for young girls. This nullifies Amber's position that only her and Kim are criticized for being sexual, and Beyonce isn't. It's just not true. 


2. Amber mentions that it's her and Kim's past that continue to cause them to be "slut-shamed" (I hate that word. I really do.). I wholeheartedly, passionately, shaking-my-head-til-I-get-a-damn-migraine disagree.  Both Kim and Amber continue to bring the remnants of their past into their present, and I suppose that has more to do with their characterizations than just what they did in the past.  What I respect about Amber is that she doesn't give a damn, though.  She owns it.  But if you "own" it, don't turn around and say "but don't call me that!", when that's exactly how you continue to
portray yourself in the media.


3. Referring to point #2, when Beyonce is not on stage performing, she presents herself in a very respectable manner--she presents as a MOTHER.  She understands that even though she is a grown ass woman, and has EVERY right to dress as she pleases, the ramifications of her actions exceed her lifetime. They will eventually seep into the life of her child.  So she acts like a mother, and dresses like one.  When was the last time you saw Beyonce post a "thirst-trap" to social media? Beyonce feels just as empowered clothed as she does performing on stage. Has nothing to do with her talent. Has EVERYTHING to do with how she carries herself.

I used to be a hoe, and if someone called me a "hoe", what was I to do? It was the truth.  My thing is, if that's what you want, do it. Own it.  But don't expect people to stop calling you on it.  It is what it is.  I'm all for #WomensEmpowerment and #WomensRights. I'm also for keeping it real, and I'm just being real.

 #WeGottaTalk

No comments:

Post a Comment